Sunday, February 16, 2014

Journal 3 - Digital Nation


          There was so much information to take in on the film “Digital Nation” that I really did not know where to begin. There were several things that caught my attention while watching. The multi-tasking segment where they did test studies with MIT students was very surprising. As a data entry clerk, I tend to do this myself while at work. I usually have four to five different screens open on my computer, as well as, answering phones, having students, teachers and/or parents coming into my office, it makes me wonder if some of the tasks I am working on might be suffering because they do not have my undivided attention. Another thing that really caught my attention is the gaming sequence. Although I have not gone into an online game with other players, I do consider myself to be an avid gamer, especially quest type games. There have even been a few days that I have played all day long trying to beat the game. The final area that I found really fascinating dealt with education. Although I am not a teacher, I have worked in the school system for 20 years, and I am working towards a degree in education. I would like to learn more about the schools that are using technology as the basis of their curriculum and how they compare to the standardized curriculum that has been used for decades. This brings a question to mind, “Because the state based testing has been changed from pencil and paper to computers, will these schools have better testing results?”

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if the schools will have better testing results because of going to computers for testing but I bet they will have faster results on knowing the grades through the computers. What you said about a schools using technology as a basis for their curriculum as a teacher I would also like to see if it is a positive effect verses negative.

    ReplyDelete