Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Journal 4 - An Inconvenient Truth


An Inconvenient Truth

I found this documentary about Global Warming very fascinating and eye opening. I will be the first to admit that this was the last thing I was concerned with 8, 10, 20 years ago. I think I was in my late 20’s when I first heard anything regarding global warming, and I was one of the ones who thought that this would not happen in my lifetime. I was vaguely aware of the issues with the ozone layer caused by aerosols and Freon, and when these products were banned. I also remember having to have our auto emissions checked to renew our car tags in the 80’s and 90’s, but really did not understand the issue with carbon build up in the atmosphere before watching this film. Gore had a graph that showed several countries and where they were with improving their automobiles and the US was the worst. This has been a pet peeve of mine that new cars available have not improved much since the 80’s in regards to fuel economy. I would be interested to know how the numbers are since this documentary was made. Have the numbers continued to increase at the rate Gore predicted, have they slowed down some, or better yet, have they declined some. How can we reduce our carbon impact, both individually and as a country? What impact does recycling have?

No comments:

Post a Comment